Sunday, October 27, 2013

I Miss School..

Sometimes I wonder to what extent everyone judges each other, and what eventually stops them. Is it guilt? First I should ask...is it stopped consciously or unconsciously?
Nobody knows each other's situations or backgrounds. So how can you judge anyone else's?
I know it is human nature to automatically judge to a point. We can't help it, we initially judge to a certain level upon meeting someone.
Our brains categorize people right when we look at them.
However, who knows what's behind the outer layer? We don't.
 
What also plays into judgement of others? It could be morals, personality, and especially preconceived stereotypes.
 
Judgement affects people more than it may seem at first.
It destroys relationships. It ruins character. It prevents relationships from forming. 
 
When I drive, I always wonder where everyone is going and what they are all thinking. I wonder why some people are so nervous and anxious about others seeing them and knowing them personally, and others are an open book. What makes them different? Just personality?
 
I guess if everyone was the same, this world would be boring. We all fit together in a perfect way...with our variety of personalities and characters.
 
However, we all have a similar base. In my psychology of morality class, we talked about how people do not have the drive to kill just to kill. There is always a motive or they blame it on something (or someone) else, like a higher authority- such as men in the army. If they are told to shoot someone, they place the blame on who told them to do it.
People who drop nuclear bombs, etc, have no emotional impact of it because they cannot see the humans they are killing.
 
My capstone psychology teacher, Professor Stark, died a week after finals week last semester. I still think about him all the time and am still in shock over his sudden death.
In his class, we were all supposed to read a psychology journal article and teach it to the class. One day, a guy used Prof Stark and another student to argue about gun control in front of the class as an example of his topic. Prof Stark argued FOR guns being legal among everyone.
Ironically, he died about two months later from an accidental gunshot. It makes me sick.
 
I'm not sure what this whole post was about...I just wanted to write what was on my mind. I do miss school and learning about such a complex, amazing topic.
 
I need to go back and get my master's degree now!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment