Friday, May 3, 2013

Graduation

It's late and I'm tired...
but this is the official night of my graduation so I better write something about it.
 
My journey through college has been difficult. I started right after high school (Fall, 2006), and have gone and stopped off and on since. I had a hard time figuring out what to major in- like everybody else usually deals with at some point.
 
So, a couple semesters I would not go, thinking I was going to do hair school or something. Finally I decided psychology was right for me. At this point I am so glad I stuck with my goal to get my degree.
 
A lot has happened in my life while I was in college.
I lived with my grandparents and went to SLCC.
I lived at home and went to UVU.
I got married.
I continued at Dixie where I have now graduated from.
We are the first class to graduate from "Dixie State University" (not Dixie State College anymore).
 
I studied my heart out. I worked hard. I put school first.
 
I took some of my hardest classes a couple of semesters ago while I was pregnant with Saylor. Pb&j sandwiches, me waddling around on campus with my huge tummy, and long school days remind me of that semester at Dixie.
 
In one way I feel like I've learned SO much about psychology...
Then on the other hand, I sit and think, "what the hell have I learned!?"
This gives me an impression that it's not just about learning, it's about obtaining knowledge and growing personally from it.
I haven't just learned, I have grown.
 
When I pictured my graduation day in the past, I would have never imagined it would look like this.
I did picture having a child. I also pictured having a husband.
I pictured walking at my graduation, and my family cheering me on. That was my dream.
 
However, my family here did everything to make me feel special since I did not get to walk at Dixie. I appreciate and love them soo much for doing this for me.
 
I have so many mixed emotions about how my life is right now during this time. It's all so unexpected...but I know I am moving forward and doing what I should.
 
I feel proud at what I have accomplished. When I started college I could hardly picture finishing. It felt so so far away.
 
It has definitely been a hell of a journey, but I have grown so much. I have proved to myself that I can do hard things and accomplish my goals.
 
I feel like it is a true blessing that I have my degree now at this time in my life. This is just when I really need it.
 
I am so thankful for the family that I do still have, who have always supported me and been there to help me on this journey.
 
[I also got to graduate the same time my cousin, Devin did..which is awesome. We have always been so much alike and so close, it's really cool that we got to share this experience together.]
 
xoxo
 
 
 
 
 











 

No comments:

Post a Comment