is gone.
Well, a lot of it is. The other day I dropping my mom off at the store. I drove by the doors while she hopped out. Coming the other direction was a lady in a black car. She had to stop for two seconds while my mom got out of the car and crossed the road to get to the doors.
I looked at her.
She looked at me, then my mom.
Then, she sat there...shaking her head.
Like it was completely putting her out that she had to wait not even a minute for my mom to jump out of the car and go inside. I honestly wanted to punch her.
Talk about politeness huh?
I just don't understand where it all went. I read a quote that said something like
"Being polite is so rare, it is often mistaken for flirting."
I agree. It surprises me these days when someone holds the door open for someone else, smiles as people who look at them, pick up things that someone drops.
I can honestly say I really try hard to be a polite and kind person. I have a habit of smiling at strangers who look at me. I always hold the door open for the person behind me.
I saw another thing (I think on Ellen) of a study done where a girl was on the side of the street in LA, asking to use someones cell phone and asking for directions. They compared how many people were willing to help her when she was all prettied up, wearing makeup and nice clothes, verses no makeup and not so nice clothes. I'm sure you can guess the results. People are drawn to attraction (that kind of sounds weird but you get it).
They are more willing to help someone attractive than someone who isn't.
Has it always been that way...or has our society formed into those habits? Nature verses Nurture? I know-my psychology side is coming out now.
Think about when a big disaster happens...like a natural disaster or a mass shooting or something. People overwhelmingly are polite and kind then.
I'm not saying just for their own recognition either, I know it can be genuine.
Why then doesn't it happen with little things?
Why is that so far gone, but when it's something drastic...it comes rushing back?
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not talking about EVERYONE out there. I know there are a million kind, polite people. There are also though, a million NOT. Like black car lady.
So make a goal. Make an effort to do courteous things for strangers.
Change someone's outlook on society.
No comments:
Post a Comment